09 Aug How To Make Your Imprint As A Fashion Blogger
by ATFDC Contributor Barbara Collins
Over the last several years, people all over the world have been creating blogs with hopes of making a profession out of their talent and to gain popularity. Blogs are one of the fastest-growing means of mass communication and has radically transformed the world of fashion journalism. Famous fashion bloggers like Bryan Grey and Tavi Gevinson are amongst the many bloggers who have caught the eye of people like Anna Wintour and have appeared on the front rows of New York and Paris Fashion Week! With the potential to receive free products, meeting celebrities, and even money why wouldn’t anyone want to start blogging?
If you want to be known around the blogosphere, here are a few tips from Elizabeth Fassbender Co-Founder of DC’s Capital Area Fashion & Beauty Bloggers (CapFABB) to help you on your journey!
- Create a blog that people want to read. If you create good content, the readers (and increased attention) will come. Be consistent! And as an extra tip, when you do get more attention and people asking things of you, remember it is ok to say no! It’s hard sometimes to turn things down, especially at first, but it gets too overwhelming otherwise!
- Embrace what makes you a bit different. You want to have a point of view.
- Promote your blog! Create a Facebook page and a Twitter account if you haven’t already.
- Post as often as you can. Once your followers see that you take long breaks in between your post, they will stop coming to your blog. More posts, more followers!
- When starting out connect to other bloggers and your readers. Visit other blogs you admire, leave comments, think of ways you can collaborate, and/or join an area blogger network (like CapFABB). Attend events when possible, and don’t be afraid to reach out.
- As cheesy as it sounds, the most important thing to remember is to do it because you love it. If you love what you do and stay true to your voice you’ll be much more successful than if you are less authentic.
Elizabeth Fassbender is the creator of “So Much to Smile About” a blog that catalogs her inspirations: beautiful photography, street style, fashion, and design trends, events, editorials and personal experiences. She is also the co-founder of CapFABB a group created to give DC Metropolitan area fashion and beauty bloggers a place to communicate, collaborate and meet.
Barbara is a sophomore at Old Dominion University, majoring in International Studies with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. She also writes for CocoKouture Magazine and would love to pursue a career in the fashion industry as a writer for a top fashion magazine